RYA Competent Crew Course
The intermediate RYA Competent Crew course will consolidate and develop your sailing skills, confidence and experience on the water.
The Competent Crew course is designed for sailors who want to consolidate sailing skills and experience offshore and night sailing. The techniques and precise manoeuvres you learn in this course will give you a deserved sense of accomplishment. This course is taught aboard our Beneteau 40.7 and Beneteau First 40 yachts, which are well equipped, stylish performance yachts ideally suited to RYA offshore training.
Competent Crew Training Options
A minimum of 5 days of RYA training is required for the RYA Competent Crew Certificate. This may include 1 or 2 days of Start Yachting Course.
If you have completed the Start Yachting course, there are two ways you can achieve the Competent Crew certificate.
- 1 x 3 day live aboard courses for $1025.
- 2 x 2 day live aboard courses for $695 each.
If you have not completed the Start Yachting course, there are three ways you can achieve the Competent Crew certificate.
- 5 days training: 2 x 3 hour Start Yachting lessons and 2 x 2 day weekend live aboard courses at Competent Crew level for $1720 plus we recommend the RYA handbook and log book $49.
- 6 days training: 3 x 2 day weekend live aboard courses at Competent Crew level for $2085 + $49 for the handbook and RYA logbook, or $1995 + $49 for books if paid in advance.
- 5 days training: 5 day live aboard course at Competent Crew level. $1595 plus $29 for the handbook and $20 for the RYA logbook.
Competent Crew Course Requirements
Pre-requisites: None! A total of 5 days training is required to achieve this certificate. The Start Yachting course can count as 2 days towards this total.
Format and costs: 2 day course for $695, 3 day course for $1025 or 5 day courses for $1595. See above for options for packages and pre-payment. We recommend the Competent Crew handbook and RYA logbook for $49, which can be collected from our office or express posted to you for $12.
Inclusions: All safety gear, use of wet weather gear, meals aboard and RYA certificate are included.
Instructor: You will learn to sail with one of our experienced EastSail instructors in an intimate group of 5 or fewer.
Competent Crew Course Dates
2 Day Course:
- Cost $695 or 3 x 2 day courses $1995. We recommend the RYA course handbook $29 and RYA log book $20.
- Dates: September 1-2, September 8-9, September 22-23, October 13-14, October 20-21, October 27-28, November 3-4, November 10-11, November 17-18, November 24-25
3 Day Course:
- Price: $1025. We also recommend the Competent Crew handbook $29 and RYA logbook $20.
- Dates: September 29-October 1 (long w/e)
5 Day Course:
- Price: $1595. We also recommend the course handbook and RYA logbook for $49.
- Dates: October 17-21, November 17-21 + see 6 day courses
6 Day Adventure Course: NSW Islands
- Price: $1695. We also recommend the course handbook and RYA logbook for $49.
- Dates: September 15-20 (Wait list)
5 or 10 day Ocean Mile builder course: 10 days Yeppoon to Sydney, 2 instructors aboard Beneteau 47.7 September 4-13, $2495 OR 5 days Gold Coast to Sydney September 9-13 $1495.
Competent Crew course syllabus
- Reefing the mainsail
- Sail handling
- Dinghy towing and rowing
- Emergency equipment
- Man overboard procedure
- Living aboard
- Provisioning and cooking
- Knowledge of terms and parts of the boat
- Rules of the road
- Helmsmanship and sail trimming
- Personal safety equipment
- Rope work and knots
- Poling the headsail and foredeck work
- Meteorology and basic chartwork
- Safety and equipment
- Headsail changes underway
- Docking, mooring and anchoring
- Safety check lists
- Stowage and pack up of gear
For more detailed info see pages 25-28 in RYA G158 log book.