Day Skipper Practical Course
The Day skipper practical course is the perfect choice for intermediate sailors looking to expand their sailing abilities and experience in coastal and offshore conditions.
The Dayskipper practical sailing course is perfect for intermediate sailors who are keen to learn to skipper and charter yachts in Sydney and all over the world! During the Day Skipper sailing course you will discover the pleasures and pitfalls of taking command. You will have control of the yacht for short passages during which time your instructor will be on hand to offer advice and encouragement, and to ensure that your destination is reached safely. You will experience being in command of a Beneteau 40 yacht offshore and learn how to handle the many situations that can arise when sailing in open waters such as reefing the mainsail, headsail changes, man overboard, navigation and docking.
Day Skipper Course Details
To undertake this course, you should have the RYA Competent Crew certificate or have equivalent knowledge and experience. We recommend at least 5 days sailing in a lesson environment or a season racing. We also recommend that you have completed or are currently undertaking the Day Skipper Shorebased Course. While undertaking the Dayskipper live-aboard courses, you will learn from an experienced EastSail instructor in a group of no more than 5, and have full use of Eastsail’s wet weather gear and safety equipment. After the course, you will be able to confidently skipper yachts of up to 15m in familiar waters.
Dayskippper course Duration: A minimum of 5 days live-aboard courses at Day Skipper level, which can be undertaken either as either:
- 1 x 2 day course + 1 x 3 day course, or
- 3 x 2 day courses, or
- 1 x 5 day course or 1 x 6 day course
Dayskipper certification requirements:
- A minimum of 5 days live-aboard courses at Day Skipper level.
- Thorough understanding and demonstration of competence in the skills taught.
Books: We recommend the RYA log book ($15) and the Day Skipper practical handbook ($25) which can be collected from the office or express posted to you for a small fee.
Our rates include all meals on board, insurance, use of wet weather gear and RYA Course Completion Certificate.
2 Day Course:
- Cost $695 or 3 x 2 day courses $1995. We recommend the RYA course handbook and RYA log book $40.
- Dates: December 16-17, January 6-7, January 13-14, January 20-21, January 28-29, February 3-4, February 10-11, February 17-18, February 24-25, March 3-4, March 10-11, March 24-25, April 7-8, April 14-15, April 28-29
3 Day Course:
- Price: $1025. We also recommend the course handbook and RYA logbook for $40.
- Dates: January 3-5, February 5-9, March 31-April 2
5 Day Course:
- Price: $1595. We also recommend the course handbook and RYA logbook for $40.
- Dates: December 27-31 (1 spot), January 22-26, February 5-9, March 3-7, March 29-April 2, April 21-25
If you have your Dayskipper certificate but want to refresh your skills or accrue more miles, night hours and skippering experience then enrol at Dayskipper plus level.
Day skipper syllabus
- Skipper responsibilities
- Living aboard
- Preparation for sea and safety checks
- Stowage and pack up
- Safety aspects and procedures
- Emergency situations
- Radio Procedures
- Maintenance and repair Work
- Port entries and pilotage
- Passage making and coastal navigation
- Log keeping
- Boat Handling under sail and power
- Deck Work
- Engine checks