RYA Day Skipper Shorebased Course
The Day Skipper Shorebased course is the perfect choice for intermediate sailors looking to expand their knowledge of sailing theory in navigation, seamanship and meteorology in tandem with increasing their practical experience.
The Day Skipper shorebased course covers the theory aspects of coastal navigation, seamanship and meteorology and is designed to complement the RYA practical sailing courses. This is a 40 hour course that ideally should be completed alongside or prior to the Day Skipper Practical Course so you can put the theory into practice.
Day Skipper Shorebased Course Details
Previous experience is not essential to undertake the Day Skipper Shorebased couse, but a minimum of the RYA Start Yachting level or equivalent experience is recommended. After the course you will have background theoretical knowledge of coastal navigation, seamanship, fire fighting safety and meteorology to skipper a small vessel in familiar waters by day, be able to use charts to set and course and do position fixing.
The course includes an RYA day skipper shorebased course kit comprising:
- RYA Dayskipper handbook
- RYA practice charts
- Sample exercises
- Soft lead pencil, sharpener and eraser
- Practice navigation tables
- Chart plotter simulator
- Assessment papers
- Course completion certificate
Day Skipper Shorebased Course Syllabus
- Charts and navigation publications
- Chart Corrections
- Compass errors – variation & deviation
- Terminology & chart symbols
- Lights & buoyage
- Latitude & longitude
- Position fixing, course and speed
- Dead Reckoning & EP’s
- Use of plotting equipment
- Tides and Tidal Definitions
- Secondary Port Calculations
- Use of tidal diamonds & tidal stream atlas
- Restricted Visibility
- Log Keeping
- Transits, leading and clearing lines
- GPS & use of way points
- Pilotage & Port entries
- Passage Preparation and Planning
- Ropes, knots & splicing
- Anchoring, docking & mooring
- Safety equipment – use & stowage
- Emergency situations
- Gear failure
- International Collision Regulations
- Pollution & marine environment
2 Day Course:
- Price: $655 for one course, or $1885 for three courses. We also recommend the course handbook and RYA logbook for $40.
- Dates:April 1-2, April 22-23, May 6-7, May 20-21, June 18-19
3 Day Course:
- Price: $955. We also recommend the course handbook and RYA logbook for $40.
- Dates: April 15-17 (wait list), April 28-30, June 10-12
5 Day Course:
- Price: $1495. We also recommend the course handbook and RYA logbook for $40.
- Dates: April 13-17 (wait list), May 17-21, June 8-12