RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance Course
The Diesel Engine Course will get up close and personal with diesel engines. You will learn about basic maintenance and how to repair common problems at sea. This course is highly recommended course for yacht owners, and RYA Coastal Skipper and RYA Yachtmaster candidates.
This one day Diesel Engine Course provides an awareness of the main systems of a marine diesel engine. It will give you the confidence and understanding to remove and replace parts and identify common problems which will inevitably occur on a vessel at sea. You will also be able to undertake routine servicing and maintenance tasks.This course is very hands on – you will spend some time on theory, some time working on a training engine in the class room and some hours “getting down and dirty” on an engine aboard a yacht. No previous experience required! Bring lunch, snacks and drinks and wear old, comfortable clothes.
Diesel Engine Course Details
The Diesel Engine Course is run by instructors from OMTC in Mosman, at a venue near the Mosman ferry jetty and Middle Harbour Yacht Club. This a one day course which runs from 9am-5pm for a fee of $325, which includes an RYA Diesel Engine practical course notes and the RYA Diesel Engine Course completion certificate. No previous experience is necessary.
Diesel Engine Course Syllabus
- How to identify the key parts of a diesel engine
- Understanding fuel systems
- Understanding the four stroke diesel cycle
- How to bleed or vent diesel engines engines
- How turbo chargers and intercoolers work
- How pumps and impellors work
- Understanding fresh and salt water cooling
- Practical daily check lists
- Understanding airway systems and fault finding
- Marine electrical systems simplified
- Recommended onboard spares and tool lists
- Marine engine log books
- Lubrication, winterisation and servicing
- Fault finding made easy