Marine First Aid Course
Many sailors undertake basic first aid training as a precaution against the inevitable accidents at sea, but in this training we are only taught how to stabilise a patient until the ambulance arrives, usually within minutes. Off the NSW & Queensland coastline using established Australian search and rescue services, the minimum response time for onsite medivac is 3 hours.
The content for this marine based first aid course has been developed by paramedics who are experienced offshore yachtsmen. Using the Red Cross intermediate first aid syllabus as the core content, you will focus on the injuries which are marine specific. Includes CPR, and practical injections into oranges and suturing chicken breasts.
The course is:
- Complies with Apply First Aid HLTFA 311C incorporating HHTCPR211A perform CPA and HLTFA 211A Provide basic life support
- Workcover approved (ANTA 3224518)
- Candidates for RYA Coastal Skipper & Yachtmaster are required for have a first aid certificate.
- Complies with Yachting Australia, RYA and ISAF RRS Special Regulation 4.07.6 - at least 2 crew members aboard a racing yacht must hold a first aid certificate.
- Meets commercial requirements (TMD MF 1001A) Master V.
- STCW95 compliant
- Injections and how to give them
- Radio medical protocols
- How to call for assistance afloat
- CPR in the marine environment
- Hypothermia treatment
- How to stabilise an injured crewman
Pain management, including injections
Burns and how to treat them
- How to suture wounds
- Head injuries and concussion
- Patient evacuation by helicopter and marine
Focus on common marine injuries
Recommended contents of your medical kit
Ability After Course: To be able to administer first aid whilst waiting for specialist care.
Duration: 1 day course 8am-6.30pm, including certificate exam at the end for the day.
Allow 10-14 days for receipt of certificate.
Inclusions: First Aid Handbook, all equipment, Red Cross Senior First Aid Certificate. Handbook can be sent to you in advance for additional fee. This course is held at Mosman, near the ferry jetty.
Click here for course dates and prices.
For more information on our sailing school courses please call us on 02 93271166
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Course payments valid for 12 months. The course can be postponed by either party with 7 days notice. if we cancel the course we offer a full refund. With 7 days notice you can postpone to another date. Refunds are not available unless the course is cancelled.
Click here for terms and conditions