RYA Competent Crew Course
Take this intermediate RYA course to develop your sailing skills, confidence and experience on the water.
The course is designed for sailors who want to consolidate sailing skills and experience offshore and night sailing. The techniques and precise manoeuvres you learn in this course will give you a deserved sense of accomplishment. This course is taught aboard our Beneteau 40.7 and Beneteau First 40 yachts, which are well equipped, stylish performance yachts ideally suited to RYA offshore training.
A minimum of 5 days of RYA training is required for the RYA Competent Crew Certificate. This may include 1 or 2 days of Start Yachting Course.
If you have completed the Start Yachting course, there are two ways you can achieve the Competent Crew certificate.
- 1 x 3 day Competent Crew live aboard courses for $955.
- 2 x 2 day Competent Crew live aboard courses for $655 each or book in advance for $1255.
If you have not completed the Start Yachting course, there are three ways you can achieve the Competent Crew certificate.
- 5 days training: 2 x 3 hour Start Yachting lessons and 2 x 2 day weekend live aboard courses at Competent Crew level for $1680 including the Competent Crew handbook and RYA logbook, or $1610 if paid in advance.
- 6 days training: 3 x 2 day weekend live aboard courses at Competent Crew level for $1965 including the Competent Crew handbook and RYA logbook, or $1885 if paid in advance.
- 5 days training: 5 day live aboard course at Competent Crew level. $1535 including the Competent Crew handbook and RYA logbook.
Pre-requisites: None! A total of 5 days training is required to achieve this certificate. The Start Yachting course can count as 2 days towards this total.
Format and costs: 2 day course for $655, 3 day course for $955 or 5 day courses for $1535. See above for options for packages and pre-payment. We recommend the Competent Crew handbook and RYA logbook for $40, which can be collected from our office or posted to you for a small fee.
Inclusions: All safety gear, use of wet weather gear, meals aboard and RYA certificate are included.
Instructor: You will learn to sail with one of our experienced EastSail instructors in an intimate group of 5 or fewer.
Competent Crew Syllabus
- Reefing the mainsail
- Sail handling
- Dinghy towing and rowing
- Emergency equipment
- Man overboard procedure
- Living aboard
- Provisioning and cooking
- Knowledge of terms and parts of the boat
- Rules of the road
- Helmsmanship and sail trimming
- Personal safety equipment
- Rope work and knots
- Poling the headsail and foredeck work
- Meteorology and basic chartwork
- Safety and equipment
- Headsail changes underway
- Docking, mooring and anchoring
- Safety check lists
- Stowage and pack up of gear
For more detailed info see pages 25-28 in RYA G158 log book.
RYA Certification Requirements
To achieve the RYA Competent Crew certification you need:
- A minimum of 5 days of courses, including 3 days offshore.
- Demonstrate understanding and competency in the skills taught.
If you are able to achieve the skill level without completing 5 days of training, we are able to endorse your log book but cannot issue the RYA Competent Crew certificate as 5 days of RYA training is a requirement of certification.