RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance Course
Get up close and personal with diesel engines and learn to maintain and repair common problems at sea. A highly recommended course for yacht owners, and Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster candidates.
This one day course provides an awareness of the main systems of a marine diesel engine and will give you the confidence and understanding to remove and replace parts and identify common problems which will inevitably occur on a vessel at sea. You will also be able to undertake routine servicing and maintenance tasks.This course is very hands on – you will spend some time on theory, some time working on a training engine in the class room and some hours “getting down and dirty” on an engine aboard a yacht. No previous experience required!
This course is run by instructors from OMTC in Mosman, at a venue near the ferry jetty and Middle Harbour Yacht Club. This a one day course which runs from 9:00am-5:00pm for a fee of $325, which includes an RYA Diesel Engine course kit with Diesel Engine practical course notes and a course completion certificate.
- How to identify the key parts of a diesel engine
- Understanding fuel systems
- Understanding the four stroke diesel cycle
- How to bleed or vent diesel engines engines
- How turbo chargers and intercoolers work
- How pumps and impellors work
- Understanding fresh and salt water cooling
- Practical daily check lists
- Understanding airway systems and fault finding
- Marine electrical systems simplified
- Recommended onboard spares and tool lists
- Marine engine log books
- Lubrication, winterisation and servicing
- Fault finding made easy